Monday, September 14, 2009

Facts-Truth-News

I was in Shanksville this weekend. Although there is no “official” memorial, visiting the temporary memorial is moving. There were at least a thousand people at the site when I was there. The crowd was so large I stopped on my way out to take a picture of the valley with all the people at the memorial. Except for the History Channel I didn’t see much national news that spent much time on Flight 93.

I asked several times over the weekend if anybody had seen news of what was going on in Washington D.C. with the March on Washington. I didn’t see much coverage on the various network news shows. I thought I was always just missing the news on Washington but by Sunday I was asking everyone what they knew. No one had a clue. How could this be? Surely something was happening.

As it turns out there is a question of how many people showed up in Washington. The major networks claim tens of thousands of people showed up. A British newspaper claimed two to three million people were in the mall. Some blogs had the number between 300,000 and a million. Now even I know there is a difference between tens of thousands and millions. Why the difference in opinion?

I couldn’t find a decent news video on-line but I did find this blog reporter who taped three hours of marchers. Take a look at the number of people in one place during the march.



I’m guessing we are seeing the media playing politics rather than giving us facts. The reason I say this is that the President went to Minneapolis for a health care speech where he addressed thousands. Can you believe that, thousands! In the same article it mentions that he is coming to Pittsburgh to talk to the AFL-CIO convention to push health care reform. I guess there wasn’t enough to talk about in Minneapolis.

How can the employees at the hard news agencies look themselves in the mirror? How can the journalism schools that pump out these “reporters” sleep at night? When I was younger I wondered how the reporters at TASS and Pravda looked at themselves. I think I have my answer.

OUTRAGEOUS NEWS
"I don't even know about it," Gibson (ABC news anchor) said when asked about his thoughts on the ACORN hidden video tapes.